Developer Dispatch » Replaced My MacBook Pro Fan

Replaced My MacBook Pro Fan

I was probably crazy for doing it, but I took my MacBook Pro, still protected by AppleCare, and replaced a very noisy fan. Made a video of it too. I just could go a week without my laptop, which is what probably would have happened if I sent it in. Plus, I read a lot of horror stories of people sending in their machines for noisy fans and getting them back just as noisy.

Anyway, it all went well. Took only about 30 minutes. But I got lucky. I could have easily slipped up and ended up with a $2,500 paperweight.

Posted on October 27, 2007 at 3:19 pm by Gary Rosenzweig · Permalink
In: General

5 Responses

1. Written by spiral
    on 10/28/2007 at 8:57 pm

i have to change the left fan of my MBP, the link to your video doesn’t work..?? to bad…
    what do you take of fan replacement..?

2. Written by Craig
    on 8/23/2008 at 11:04 pm

I replaced my fan myself, got kinda a hairy in the heart of the mac book pro, but all in all any person skilled with their hands and able to wing their way through vague instructions could perform the operation.

3. Written by Larry Doyle
    on 1/13/2009 at 9:12 pm

Hey Gary… looking to replace my fan, googled into here… didn’t realize it was your site until I scrolled up LOL. Anyway, my MBP right fan is really noisy so I’m going in. I recently replaced the optical drive (so I could install leopard so I could install Apache2 so I could get a Zend framework running). That was a piece of cake, just followed the great videos at http://www.powerbookmedic.com/, also got my parts there, helped having the Torx6 and Torx8 drivers as well as small screw drivers.

4. Written by Göran Ronsten
    on 6/18/2009 at 5:21 pm

Parting the fan, removing dust and lubricating the rotor shaft using silicon spray seem to have solved my noise problem.

5. Written by Paul
    on 10/23/2011 at 9:39 am

Where can i get a fan for the 2007 2.4ghz MBP?