Has Adobe Lost Its Mind?

So I came across a new story today that says that if you use Director 12 to make a paid iOS app, you have to give 10% of your revenue above $20,000 to Adobe.
First of all: What? There’s a Director 12? I stopped using it around Director MX 2004 (version 10, I guess). But I used to be one of the top Director/Shockwave developers in the world. I literally wrote the book on using Director. So, nice marketing job telling people that Director 12 exists.
Second of all: What? You can create iOS apps with Director 12? Huh. Never thought that would happen. Well, I guess I could take some of my old games and re-release them as iOS apps. But…
Third: Really? You pay for the software, and then you have to pay Adobe a royalty on profits from the content you create? Who is going to do that? No other tool I know of has this kind of thing in place. And the main competition, native app creation, certainly doesn’t do it. Flash, the other competition doesn’t do it.
A tiny bit of interest I had in paying Adobe $299 to upgrade just went bye-bye.
Oh, and one other thing. Why isn’t Director included in Adobe Creative Cloud. I pay the monthly fee so I can get everything from Adobe. That should include Director.

Posted on February 13, 2013 at 2:54 pm by site admin · Permalink
In: General

5 Responses

1. Written by geektard
    on 3/22/2013 at 12:21 am

If Director wasn’t going to be able to publish to iOS then what would be the point of a new version? It’s all I wanted it to do – and maybe Android. And nothing else has changed including the bugs though apparently lots of 3D because 3D game makers love using Director apparently? (I scoff in Adobe’s general direction – but they must do some market research surely – hard to tell) I am playing with 12 now and it feels just the same (crashes a lot). And it looks exactly the same (ugly). I don’t think they even bothered to update the icon. Could they whack a 12 on it or something? Of course you’re thinking, why does this guy even bother with Director anymore? Well imagine all those old multimedia titles that would make good apps. There’s gotta be some.

2. Written by Marlon
    on 4/4/2013 at 10:24 pm

Good News:

“Developers no longer face 10 percent cut”:

3. Written by Brennan Young
    on 4/14/2013 at 8:00 am

Director 12: A textbook case in how a dev tools company can add insult to injury.

4. Written by Richard
    on 4/27/2013 at 4:57 pm

The good news is, there is no longer a 10% fee to Adobe and they just patched it out.

5. Written by Cheeky
    on 6/4/2013 at 8:38 am

Just breathing a sign of relief that all the years of investing in Director may not be wasted. Agree that Adobe have lost the plot… I’m interested to see how they collect, and will they reimburse me for the apps that don’t sell for over 20,000? Seems that this “partnership” is a little unbalanced. Now if they released D12 for free and took the risk with us…